Friday, August 24, 2012

'TOP SECRET' Salad Dressing

Do you have a 'Top Secret' family recipe?  One that you have been sworn NEVER to reveal?

I do. 

But, before I reveal our 'Top Secret' family recipe (and risk the wrath of my family for revealing this secret recipe), I thought that you should know a little bit about the person who invented it....


The woman who created this recipe was Ruth Smith and she was my grandmother.

Now you may think that she was a fabulous cook because that is where most 'Top Secret' recipes come from, don't they?

Surprisingly, my grandmother wasn't what I would call a wonderful cook.  In all honesty, she just barely got by on a few standard recipes that she would cook whenever we would visit.
The fact that my grandmother wasn't a great cook makes it all the more interesting that she made a fabulous homemade salad dressing.

The only problem was that we never asked her how to make it and she had passed away over 10 years ago.

So a couple of years ago, I asked my mom if she could remember what ingredients grandma used in her salad dressing.

Thankfully, my mother was able to remember all the ingredients - just not the proportions.  So, I set to work to figure out the recipe and I was thrilled to finally get it!

Since then, it is all we use on our salads with a few different ingredients from time to time to change it up.

So, I am breaking all the family rules by sharing this with you (just kidding) - but seriously it is too good a recipe to keep to ourselves.

So here it is:

Grandma Smith's Vinaigrette 

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
1 pinch Salt
3 - 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or other fruit-flavored vinegar (my homemade peach vinegar is what I used this time).


I've also used Pomegranate White Balsamic vinegar too.

Directions:
In a small jar add the salt, sugar and apple cider vinegar.  Then add the oil and place the lid on the jar and shake until all ingredients are combined.


Pour over your salad and enjoy!



Here is our 'top secret' recipe in its entirety.

Grandma Smith's Vinaigrette                Click here for printable version

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
1 pinch salt
3 - 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or other fruit-flavored vinegar

Directions:

In a small jar add the salt, sugar and apple cider vinegar.  Then add the oil and place the lid on the jar and shake until all ingredients are combined.

Serve over your favorite salad!

**I hope you enjoy our 'Top Secret' salad dressing!  Grandma Smith would be thrilled to know that I'm sharing it with all of you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to 'sample' some of my recipes. I would love to hear your comments!